Giving puppies both consistent cues and consistent rewards during training sessions is the dynamic duo for successful learning. Healthy puppy training treats are among the most enticing rewards because they provide the positive reinforcement that puppies love.
What We'll Cover
- Here Is Our Top Healthy Puppy Training Treats
- Nulo Freestyle Trainers Puppy & Adult Dog Treats(Best Overall)
- Zuke's Puppy Naturals Peanut Butter & Oat Mini Dog Training Treats (Best Midrange)
- Train-Me! Training Reward Mini Treats by Crazy Dog (Best Value)
- Stella and Chewy's Duck Recipe Raw Coated Biscuits
- Fruitables Healthy 'Skinny Minis' Dog Training Treats
- Old Mother Hubbard Classic Puppy Biscuits
- Blue Bits Soft & Moist Training Treats by Blue Buffalo
- Pet Botanics Training Reward Mini Treats
- Dingo Beef + Chicken Soft & Chewy Training Treats
- Wellness Natural & Grain-Free Soft Puppy Bites
- The Bottom Line
Not only do puppy training treats make your pup feel like doing exactly what you ask of them, but the best puppy treats for training are focused on flavorful, healthy ingredients. Here is our top six healthy treat checklist for training success:
- Full of healthy ingredients to improve brain wellness for better learning, body strength, and mobility
- Easily chewable so that your puppy isn't distracted by the crunch
- Formulated with the enticing flavors that your puppy will love
- Budget-friendly yet high-quality recipes
- Small size to keep calories in check
- Responsible sourcing and manufacturing processes to create a healthier world for both you and your pup
When it comes to puppy training, timing is everything, and a handy guide from the Humane Society of the United States can help you use puppy training treats to your best advantage. It's recommended that puppies begin training at around eight weeks of age.
Once you're ready to get started, check out our top 10 best healthy puppy training treats guide. We pulled this list together using extensive research and our own experiences training puppies with healthy, mouthwatering rewards to motivate them!
Here Is Our Top Healthy Puppy Training Treats
Nulo Freestyle Trainers Puppy & Adult Dog Treats(Best Overall)
3 DELICIOUS FLAVORS: Dogs will love the real meat taste of our duck, salmon and turkey recipes
NATURAL DOG TREATS: Our gluten-free treats do not contain grain, soy, corn, wheat or preservatives
Manufactured in the USA and sourced mainly from North America. With natural superfoods like honey and cherries, low calories, meat as the top ingredient, DHA for brain health, and a gluten-free blend, these savory puppy training treats can double as a nutritional supplement for canines of all ages.
They come in pellet form, contain just two calories per piece, so you don't have to worry about your dog overindulging during training, and are available in a trio of meaty options: salmon, duck, or turkey. Comes in a resealable bag helps keep treats fresh.
- Contain no artificial smoke flavors, preservatives, or colors
- Grain, corn, soy, wheat, and gluten free
- Each of the three blends contains salmon oil with DHA for brain health
- Full of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for a shiny, healthy coat
- Added honey, blueberries, and cherries provide 'superfood' supplemental nutrition
- Natural aromas get dogs' attention and help motivate good behavior
- Need to be used quickly, within 30 days of opening, to maintain their freshness
- A bit pricier than average
- Can get moldy, dry, and crumbly if not kept in a cool, dry place
Zuke's Puppy Naturals Peanut Butter & Oat Mini Dog Training Treats (Best Midrange)
Wholesome, tender mini bites for all your adventures in training
Real peanut butter is the number 1 ingredient
Less than 3 calories per treat for guilt free rewarding
Healthy dog treats made with n...
Here's a treat that focuses on all-natural, plant-based ingredients that provide a great reward for dogs who prefer the sweeter things in life. Because Zuke's uses sweeteners found in nature combined with peanut butter as the number one ingredient, there's no sugar added and your dog still gets a great dose of flavor and protein in each serving.
All natural and crafted in the USA, these treats have fewer than three calories per piece, and the bags are all resealable to help keep these mini "trainers" tender and fresh during lessons.
- Delicious, real peanut butter is the #1 ingredient, making them great for dogs with a "sweet tooth"
- Detailed feeding instructions included, based on your puppy's weight
- No wheat, soy, corn, or added sugar
- Mini, tender bites that contain about 500 pieces per 16-oz bag, so you won't run out mid-lesson
- Contain vitamin E supplement to boost immunity and keep skin healthy
- Just three calories per treat
- May not work for longer training sessions with smaller puppies and dogs because it's recommended to only give three treats daily, per pound of weight
- A small percentage of dogs don't care for them
- Not as soft as some other treats on the list but still tender
Train-Me! Training Reward Mini Treats by Crazy Dog (Best Value)
Manufactured In Usa
Train Your Dog The Easy Way!
Meat Is #1 Ingredient. No Bha, Bht, Ethoxyquin
Created To Attract, Focus, Motivate & Reward Dog!
Speeds Up The Learning Curve! Approx. 200 Treats!
A great low fat, low-calorie motivator, Train-Me! Reward Treats have a delicious smoked bacon flavor to grab your dog's attention. They contain real meat from pork liver and bacon. These soft tidbits work well for all breeds and sizes and are budget-friendly.
With about 200 treats per 4-oz bag and 1.5 calories per treat, you can cut the learning curve with these focus-enhancing rewards, without overdoing it on your puppy's daily food intake.
- Low calories and low fat
- Mouthwatering smoked bacon flavor for better focus and motivation
- Meat is the #1 ingredient
- Made in the USA
- No BHT, BHA, or Ethoxyquin
- Resealable bag for optimal freshness and convenient transport
- Budget friendly
- Contain cane sugar
- They can have a strong smell and not all dogs care for them
- Not recommended for dogs with chicken allergies because they contain chicken fat
Stella and Chewy's Duck Recipe Raw Coated Biscuits
Reward your best friend with a gently oven baked biscuit for dogs coated in freeze-dried raw cage-free poultry
Made in the USA - meat is the #1 ingredient and every treat contains only responsibly ...
These small biscuits give just a bit of crunch for dogs who love that texture, without being overly distracting. You can use them as a reward to motivate your puppy to perform basic obedience, tricks, and even respond to more advanced commands. Their unique claim-to-fame is that they're oven-baked, coated in raw meat sourced from cage-free ducks, and then freeze-dried.
These flavorful biscuits are full of organic ingredients that are responsibly sourced.
- Made to imitate a wild-prey diet, with real poultry sourced from cage-free ducks
- Contain real meat as the #1 ingredient, and organic superfood fruits and vegetables like blueberries and spinach
- Grain and Gluten free with no artificial ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Free of added hormones, antibiotics, fillers, and artificial preservatives and colors
- Each biscuit is fewer than three calories
- Tough to break in half so may not be ideal for dogs who have a tough time with hard treats
- The chewing time might be distracting to some puppies during training
- Some dogs can't tolerate the long list of ingredients and have digestive issues after eating these biscuits
Fruitables Healthy 'Skinny Minis' Dog Training Treats
IRRESISTABLE TASTE : Mmmm, Apple Bacon ! This mouthwatering recipe is like home-baked goodies in a three-calorie bite.
DELICIOUSLY HEALTHY DOG TREATS : Made with superfoods, our oven-baked dog bisc...
If you're interested in a low-calorie treat with plenty of plant-based protein, antioxidants, vitamins, and dietary fiber to help keep your pooch slim and active for training, look no further than Fruitables 'Skinny Minis.' Soft and moist for easy chewing so that your puppy won't get sidetracked from your cues, these multi-shaped goodies are a great nutritional addition to diets.
They are also produced in the USA, and available in six flavor combinations with either real meat or meatless options: apple bacon, grilled bison, pumpkin and berry, watermelon, rotisserie chicken, and pumpkin and mango. Come in a sturdy, resealable bag.
- Both real meat and plant-based protein options
- Each flavor has a different shape for great variety that keeps dogs interested
- Only three calories per treat and a mini-size that's perfect for training
- Each variety is crafted with superfoods
- Grain, wheat, corn, soy, and artificial color and flavor free
- Flavor combinations are blended to be irresistible to dogs (and still smell great to their humans)
- Great for smaller dogs
- May not be as effective for larger dogs since the treats are so small
- A small number of reviewers said their dogs had diarrhea and vomiting after eating some of the flavor varieties
Old Mother Hubbard Classic Puppy Biscuits
MINI PUPPY TREATS: These mini crunchy biscuits make a great training treat and a great addition to your puppy's diet; they feature assorted natural flavors including chicken, apples, carrots and ad...
Great for dogs who love crunch! While crunching can be distracting for many dogs, it might be the only thing that motivates some pups. If that's the case for your furry companion, Old Mother Hubbard offers a classic mini-treat to help all your training sessions go smoother, with a healthy twist: real chicken, carrot, and apples in every bit. These flavor combinations are slow-baked to preserve their natural taste and motivate your puppy to stay focused while learning.
- Contain real carrots with beta carotene, chicken, and apples
- No meat by-products or artificial ingredients
- Very affordable
- Great for all sizes, ages, and breeds
- Added vitamin A, B12, vitamin D3, vitamin E, riboflavin, and niacin supplements
- Slow baked to preserve the flavor
- Natural ingredients with no artificial preservatives, added sugar, or meat by-products
- Fun, mini bone shapes that are not as difficult to chew as regular biscuits
- Unlike many of the other training treats, meat is not the first ingredient
- Can be difficult to finish in one bite and creates crumbles on the floor
- Some users recommend the package be redesigned to reduce treat breakage during shipping
- Many dogs love them, but a small percentage refuse to eat them
Blue Bits Soft & Moist Training Treats by Blue Buffalo
REAL CHICKEN FIRST: BLUE Bits dog training treats are made with delicious real chicken as the first ingredient making them an ideal reward for your best friend’s best behavior
MEATY TRAINING TREATS...
Blue Bits Soft & Moist Training Treats offer your puppy real meat as the first ingredient for strong, healthy muscles, along with DHA from fish oil to promote cognition and learning. These heart-shaped treats are both cute and the perfect size for training, and they're also packed with Omega-3 and Omega-6 to give your puppy healthy skin and a shiny coat.
Blue Bites contain no soy, corn, wheat, artificial preservatives, or chicken by-products meals. You can choose from four meaty options: beef, chicken, turkey, and salmon.
- Real beef, chicken, salmon, or turkey is the #1 ingredient to give your pup all the protein that they need for strong muscles
- No artificial preservatives, chicken by-products, or corn, wheat, or soy fillers
- Packed with DHA for better trainability
- Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids help keep your pup's fur and skin shiny and healthy
- Come in a convenient bag for easy transport to training lessons, the park, hiking trails, or wherever you train
- Not recommended for puppies or dogs under 5 pounds
- Most pups love them, but a small percentage get sick after eating them or completely turn them down
- Some users mentioned they go stale or dry out quickly
- Contain cane sugar
Pet Botanics Training Reward Mini Treats
Perfect size for repetitive rewards; contains over 200 treats
Easy to carry in your pocket
Made with real pork liver; healthy and nutritional
Low calorie treat; 1 1/2 calorie each
Made in the USA
These tiny treats are a favorite among trainers because their mini size ensures your puppy won't become too full to focus, even during longer lessons. They're just 1.5 calories each and contain real pork liver as the top ingredient. Plus, the treats have an added bonus: a blend of vitamins and minerals designed to support your puppy's digestion and immune system that includes dandelion, blueberry, rosemary, peppermint, cranberries, green tea extract, and chamomile.
Pet Botanics mini treats are available in bacon, duck & bacon, beef, chicken, and salmon flavors; just 1,5 calories each and tiny enough to transport in your pocket. Made in, and most ingredients sourced from, the USA
- Contains over 200 treats per 4-oz bag so that you can make it through more training sessions
- Great source of protein from real pork liver, the #1 ingredient
- Enhanced with 'Botanifits' vitamin and mineral blend for great nutrition
- Free of corn, soy, BHT, and BHA
- Soft, chewy, and moist texture that won't crumble
- Five enticing flavors to motivate your puppy to perform repetitive actions
- Contain sugar, which may make some dogs hyper or aggressive
- Not recommended for dogs with egg or certain herb and fruit allergies
- They may mold if not refrigerated
Dingo Beef + Chicken Soft & Chewy Training Treats
Made In The Usa With 100% Usa Sourced Ingredients
Made With Real Beef; Gluten Free
Ideal Size For Training Or Frequently Rewarding Your Dog Without Overfeeding
Packaging May Vary
While many of the treats on this list come in single flavors, Dingo's flavor-packed training treats are bursting with the dual combo of beef and chicken to make your dog eager to listen in order to get this scrumptious reward. All ingredients are sourced from the USA and made in the USA.
Gluten-free and full of amazing flavors, these soft, chewy, and tasty "trainers" are designed to counter the age-old adage so that you can indeed teach an old dog new tricks. Great for puppies and dogs alike.
- Made with real beef and chicken, the #1 and #2 ingredients
- 360 treats per 13,8-oz package
- Just 3,19 calories per gram
- Formulated for all sizes, breeds, and ages
- Easy to break in half for smaller rewards
- Great for potty training, tricks, and basic commands
- Contain sugar and soy
- Some people reported that they upset their dogs' stomachs
- May dry out and get hard quickly
Wellness Natural & Grain-Free Soft Puppy Bites
MINI CHEWY PUPPY TREATS: These delicious, grain free soft treats are made with 2 kinds of fresh meat plus added vitamins specially for puppies and a natural source of DHA to promote healthy brain d...
These filler-free square snacks are perfect for growing puppies because they combine a grain-free blend that's full of nutrient-rich superfoods like blueberries, flaxseed, and sweet potatoes with lamb and salmon to provide plenty of mind-body strength.
Wellness Bites are a great source of DHA to help your puppy's brain develop. Plus, they include all-natural ingredients carefully formulated with delicious smoke flavors to keep puppies focused on the reward they'll get for being so good. These soft and small treats are full of big wellness ingredients like antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and minerals to help improve your pup's wellness and training success.
Grain-free blend, made in the USA. At six calories per treat, they're a great reward for puppies who can use the extra calories to grow.
- Crafted for the nutritional needs of puppies under one year of age
- No meat by-products, soy, corn, added sugar, wheat gluten, or artificial preservatives
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids for skin and coat health
- Excellent source of DHA from salmon and flaxseed to help your puppy's brain development
- Contain protein-rich salmon and lamb as the #1 and #2 ingredients
- Full of antioxidant-rich superfoods like blueberries, sweet potatoes, and apples
- They have a higher fat content, so they may not work well for dogs who tend to carry extra weight
- A small percentage of users state these caused their dogs to have indigestion and diarrhea
- Contain a small amount of garlic powder, which in larger quantities can make dogs sick, especially certain breeds
The Bottom Line
Nutritional content, size, flavors, texture, sourcing practices, price, convenience, and your puppy's personal preferences are the top considerations when deciding on the best healthy puppy treats for training your furry companion.
Some people look for treats that are high-protein for a steadier supply of energy while others prefer carbohydrate-dense options for more intense training sessions. Flavor preferences also vary. Some dogs like chicken, beef, turkey, or duck, and others gravitate towards peanut butter or other sweet flavors.
You can also consider whether your dog or its breed tends to have allergies to certain foods. For example, different meats have been found to be allergens for some dogs. On the other hand, your dog may not tolerate grains well. In which case, a grain-free option is a good choice.
Finally, think about whether you want to focus on reducing calories if your dog or puppy tends to put on weight easily or would prefer nutritionally-rich puppy treats that may be a bit higher in calories. Check with your veterinarian if you have questions about a diet and nutrition plan for your pup and how to incorporate healthy puppy training treats.
Here again, are our top choices for The Best and Healthiest Puppy Training Treats: Best Overall is Nulo Freestyle Trainers Puppy & Adult Dog Treats, Best Midrange is Zuke's Puppy Naturals Peanut Butter & Oat Mini Dog Training Treats, and Best Value is Train-Me! Training Reward Mini Treats by Crazy Dog.